Wednesday, July 7, 2010

14 - July 7, 2010


Initial Impressions
Christopher Setterlund

July 7, 2010

1.      Got a phone call the other day from someone with the same number as me, just a different area code.  Thought it might have been me from the future calling to tell me last night’s lottery numbers.  No such luck.
2.      In a weird moment on the 4th we had the film Independence Day on and the song ‘Hallelujah’ was on Pandora, it synced up as the aliens began blowing up the cities.  It fit so well that it was eerie.
3.      Has anybody seen this Shake-Weight product?  It’s basically a vibrating dumbbell.  There is something quite provocative when you see a woman using this weight, check out the ads and you’ll see what I mean.
4.      Okay, so if ESPN is all about sports why the hell do they clog up time with poker, spelling bees, and hot dog eating contests?  Did these suddenly become sports when I wasn’t looking?  I’d rather see them throw water polo and ping pong on there then this junk.
5.      Can’t believe that I had to get up earlier than I do for work to go to jury duty.  Oh yeah and they also sent me to the furthest courthouse, nearly an hour away, it was 95 degrees, and I got sent home at 10:30.  I was pretty steamed, wish there had been a trial, I would have fried whoever it was.
6.      On the bright side I did get to watch a cheesy video about jury duty.  You ever see the old Simpsons episodes with the Troy McClure videos?  It was like that sort of cheese.
7.      Have you seen the video called ‘Drinking Out of Cups’ on YouTube?  It might be the most random, funniest 3 minutes.  The recording is of a real guy locked in a closet tripping on acid.  You’ll love it.
8.      I finally heard the ‘Please Stay, Lebron’ song that the folks in Cleveland did to the tune of ‘We Are the World.’  It might be the saddest thing I’ve heard, and very funny.  It includes local ‘celebrities’ like car salesmen, news reporters, and politicians.  Of course the only real star the city has, Drew Carey, is nowhere to be found.  Smart move.
9.      Happy 70th birthday on the 6th to former Beatle Ringo Starr, wonder if he got a yellow submarine?
10.  So Lindsay Lohan gets 90 days in jail for violating her probation?  Part of me says ‘good, maybe she’ll now smarten up.’  Still, part of me feels bad, it’s been said enough that in today’s society we build people up to tear them down, and then at times build them up again.   I hope she realizes she has caused a lot of this and can lead a ‘normal’ Hollywood life in 3 months.
11.  Visited my Nana’s house today which is being cleaned and painted by my Uncle Bob for sale.  I could not go inside, it has been six months but it still makes me sad to know she is not here.  I know change is inevitable and something you cannot stop, but it seems like the only change I keep seeing is loss, I hate losing, especially loved ones.
12.  Saw an old favorite today, there is this guy with a cane and tourettes that walks all over Yarmouth and Hyannis yelling obscenities to himself.  He was walking down Rt. 28 today.  He has a younger, chinless, brother that goes to my gym and does the same.  Seriously, the guy has no chin, just a mouth and neck.
13.  Bought some beer today and did not get carded.  It was sort of cool until I realized that my grey in my beard is not helping me look young. 
Retro Impressions:  For this insane heat wave I thought I’d wheel out my first ‘retro impression’ which will be like what I mention every time except that it took place years ago.  They are still relevant though.-à I remember landscaping back in 2002, working on a job digging out a 6 foot deep ditch in Sagamore.  No shade, about 100 degrees, insane humidity.  Oh yeah and I left my water in another truck.  After an hour I started seeing purple spots.  Got home after a long day and wanted to take a cold shower, the water hit and it was like Andre the Giant putting me in a bearhug.  I can only assume it was heat exhaustion, not quite heat stroke, but no fun none the less.
Quote of the Day: “True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation."  - George Washington
Photo of the Day:  The Man At the Wheel – Gloucester, Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment