Thursday, December 16, 2010

28 - 12/16/2010 - In My Footsteps Trip


Initial Impressions
Christopher Setterlund


28 – 12/16/2010 – In My Footsteps Trip


1.  Today was the final In My Footsteps trip of the calendar year.  The next one will be on the 1-year anniversary of my first trip, 1/7/2011.
2.  This was the coldest trip I have taken since the beginning during the last winter, it was 25 degrees to start and windy, busted out the heavy winter coat today.
3.  First visited Rockland, it was the second Rockland I have traveled to.  Only Newport is a town that I have seen in 2 different states.
4.  On the blue crosswalks in Rockland there was some sort of symbol painted in white, it was hard to get a good photo of something in the middle of a busy street, but luckily I found one that I shot.  Still trying to figure out what the hell it is.
5.  I visited Rockland thinking that the original Rockland Trust Bank would be located there.  Seems logical right?  So I start chatting up this nice old guy raising the flag outside and he tells me that the original one was in Scituate.  So then why was it not named Scituate Trust?  I rapidly lost interest as he gave me directions to it, I had one of those thought clouds with a monkey playing the drums going on while he spoke.
6.  The best part of Rockland was this row of 5 wooden soldiers in front of the Town Hall sign.  They were so awesome, every brand of the military was represented too.  I wish I could have taken one home.
Awesome yellow and red house.
7.  There was a nice row of old homes at the end of Union Street in Rockland, but none topped the crazy yellow one with red shutters and little awnings over each window.  The photo will show you what I mean, it was so cool. 
8.  In order to see these homes I parked at a Mobil station.  There was some guy sitting in his parked running car next to mine and he just stared at me.  I wanted to say ‘Dude, I am going to walk around, you’re just sitting here like a creepy stalker so quit staring!’
9.  I always love finding places that aren’t on my list to see.  The only problem is cutting the wheel to whip my car into a parking spot, or turning around with no regard for human life, yeah I might need to change that.
Norwell was a pleasant surprise, best spot of the day.  I stopped at the Town Offices and found myself interested enough to shoot a pair of drop boxes.  I then thought to myself ‘are these really that important to the day?’  The answer was of course yes.
10.  The White Oak Farm Barn was an unexpected spot to see.  I parked across the street and took a few photos, then the owner came to the door with his dog.  Lucky for me he thought it was cool that I was photographing his historic home, or else I’d have been a chew toy.
11.  Garfield Park was a nice little spot, despite the fact that it had nothing to do with the famous orange cat.  I mean even a little chalk sketch on the sidewalk would have sufficed for me.
12.  Best spot of the day was Norris Reservation, a conservation area.  There was a frozen pond which emptied into a creek.  There was some amazing ice build ups around rocks and branches.  I ventured down and walked onto the rocks into the creek, one slip and it was an unpleasant ending.  So I am hunched down taking photos when I notice a guy and his dog staring, yeah looked like I was peeing so what about it?
13.  Wanted a few photos of the North River going through Norwell.  I drove over a bridge and parked in a pretty dangerous area and walked back onto the bridge.  It was here that I saw the nice dirt parking lot on the other side of the river, guess I should have turned my head slightly when driving.
14.  Definitely the oddest location I hit up was the Stetson Meadows.  I thought it was going to be a historic home, which it was, but I did not realize it would be down like a thousand miles of pot hole filled dirt road which ran along Rt. 3. 
15.  The area was nice though, I scared a chipmunk while shooting a marsh.  It was funny because while shooting I could hear the leaves rustling as the chipmunk tried to very slowly escape behind me. 
Hanover was not too exciting, some good stuff but all in like a one block radius.
16.  The best part of Hanover was getting to eat at Moe’s Southwest Grill in the Hanover Mall.  Oh man that was worth the trip all on its own!
17.  What kind of idiot drives around with his gas tank cover open?  Me, boo, real smart.
18.  I was done so quickly with my three towns I visited that I had time to go shoot a video at Old Scituate Light.  That makes 4 times I have been there, never get tired of it.  Also, if you’ve seen the photos doesn’t the lighthouse look like it’s wearing a dress with the way the bottom flows out?  Yes, this was something I really asked, it is on the video.


Quote of the Day:  “I like when I drive places and know where things are.” –Me, I immediately laughed at how stupid that sounded too when I said it.
Photo of the Day
The soldiers in front of Rockland Town Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment