Friday, January 7, 2011

30 - 1/7/2011 - In My Footsteps Trip


Initial Impressions
Christopher Setterlund


30 – 1/7/2011
In My Footsteps – 1-Year Anniversary Trip


1.  The first trip of 2011 coincides with the anniversary of my first trip last year. 
2.  Visited the towns of Old Saybrook, New London, and Groton in Central Connecticut.  The furthest day trip thus far at just under 2 ½ hours to get there.  Over 300 miles of total driving.
3.  Repairs being done on the Braga Bridge in Fall River meant that it was basically covered with one giant blue tarp.  It was really cool going through it on the way to Conn. as there was no traffic.  It sucked on the way back since there was a ton of traffic just after rush hour.
4.  In the latest installment of my GPS trying to kill me it tried to get me off the highway near the split to head to NYC.  Don’t know why but I stayed on the route and cut time off of my trip.  Stupid GPS, I mean really since I changed it to British nanny voice it has been dumb as a chimp.
5.  Stopped at a rest area about a half hour from Old Saybrook.  Thought it might be a good idea to grab something from a vending machine.  Did you know everything was $1.25?  Even small stuff?  Of course I brought in 4 quarters so no luck there, should have just kicked one of them until stuff fell out.
6.  For some reason I thought Mystic, CT was home to Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun.  Turns out that it is Mystic County, not the town, good thing because my gambling bug is easy to wake up.
7.  Found it funny when arriving at the Town Hall in Old Saybrook that there was this guy icing up this rectangle area in front, spraying it with a hose, it was bordered off with wood.  Anyway, there was a sign that said ‘No Skating’ which is just asking for people to do drive-by skatings all night.
8.  Old Saybrook’s Main Street was lined with Christmas wreaths hanging from all of their street lamps, I kept running onto the islands in the middle of the street trying to get a great perspective shot of all of the wreaths, we’ll see how it comes out.
9.  Was all amped up to see Lynde Point Light in Old Saybrook, until of course I found it resided way back in a private neighborhood.  What did I do?  Go in anyway of course!  Then I found it sat behind a house with a long driveway surrounded by a fence.  Strike two, so I took a bunch of photos from the nearby beach.  I should have ran up and taken a photo but figured getting arrested might wreck my trip.
10.  Ocean Beach Park in New London was really cool, even though it was really cold.  It reminded me of a small Coney Island, very small.  Workout World, Carvel Ice Cream, an arcade, waterslide, and mini golf, I can see why it is so popular. 
11.  This is also where I got the best views of the haunted New London Ledge Lighthouse.  It looks like an old schoolhouse out in the water and is haunted by a former keeper named ‘Ernie.’  I used binoculars to help my camera zoom in closer, did it in Marblehead too, genius idea I know.
12.  In keeping with the inaccessible lighthouse theme I got to see New London Harbor Light from the end of someone’s driveway.  Luckily it was a clear shot, and all of the windows for some reason faced the road and not the water.  Third lighthouse I could not get close to, batting a thousand at this point.
13.  Fort Trumbull in New London was insane.  I have seen several old granite forts but none that looked in mint condition.  I also saw tons of cats hanging out on these grassy rock faces.  Only got a photo of a couple since the rest ran away.
14.  Also nearly had a heart attack at the front gates when I thought I saw a ghost of a soldier standing inside.  Turned out to be a cutout with a plaque next to it, still it was grey and white and far away so hey give me a break!
15.  While I appreciated the fact that a pair of historic homes were kept intact in a pretty developed neighborhood in New London it was also a bit off to walk around the back of one house and basically be in a slum.  17th century home in front, discarded fridge behind it, makes sense.
16.  Visited the smallest Subway ever, it was literally the area to make the sub and a door with a closet for prep, saw no bathroom, no nothin’ but the sub was good so whatever.
17.  Fort Griswold in Groton was amazing, an old earthen fort with a cool stone tunnel to get from the top level to down below.  Plus there was a giant obelisk much like the Bunker Hill monument which was cool.
18.  At Eastern Point Beach in Groton I saw a rainbow cloud.  No rain all day but yet there was a small oval cloud with an array of colors in it, can’t explain it but it was pretty amazing.
19.  Avery Point Light in Groton was hard to find, got lost until I realized it was on UConn’s Marine campus.  The only lighthouse I got to see up close it looked either like a pink candle or something off of a Barbie castle.  It was awesome anyway with the sun starting to set.  From there I could also see New London Harbor Light and New London Ledge Light.  Have never seen 3 lighthouses at one time.
20.  On the drive home somebody hit what I can only describe as a blue Styrofoam cooler, the way it exploded on the highway was nuts.  It showered my car but luckily was nothing bad enough to kill me, got to try harder to take me out!
21.  A special thank you to all of my friends and family that have been so supportive during my first year of this travel writing adventure.  Won’t name names since I’ll likely leave people out, but those of you who were mentioned in my Christmas card note on Facebook pretty much make up this list as well.  Here’s to Year Two of In My Footsteps!

Quote of the Day:  “Stupid British nanny, just shut up and let me drive!”  Me to my GPS after it tried to kill me again.
Song of the Day:  No More Cloudy Days – The Eagles
Photos of the Day:
Lynde Point Light, trespassed to get this close.

New London Harbor Light in somebody's yard.

You tell me you see that really quick and don't think it's a ghost?

The rainbow cloud at Eastern Point Beach.

Avery Point Light, candle, or Barbie castle?

No comments:

Post a Comment