Sunday, May 6, 2012

Minimalist Running Shoes, Yes Or No?

     What is everyone's opinion about the new minimalist running shoe craze?  I have been reading about the benefits of barefoot running for a few months.  These shoes mimic that by being like they say a minimal shoe.  I am debating checking out the new Brooks Pure Connect once I am due for a new pair.  I have seen the FiveFingers shoes which include toes but am looking more toward the common shoe design just much lighter and thinner material-wise.
     Has anyone tried/enjoyed the FiveFingers shoe?
     I have seen that Nike, New Balance, and Saucony, in addition to Brooks have jumped into the minimalist world.  So if the heavy-hitters are producing these shoes there must be something to it, right?  It is said that barefoot running helps you feel each impact and therefore allows you to adjust your form and lessen injury.  That is something that absolutely appeals to me.  Anytime that I can lessen leg injuries I will at least try what is recommended.
     I am thinking of trying out some barefoot running on the nearby beaches soon.  I read that this helps in a few ways.  First you tend to land on your whole foot, not just the heel which is common with soft cushioned shoes.  I had a tendency to do that but have been recently trying to use shorter more frequent strides to avoid nagging knee pain.  Second, running barefoot helps strengthen the feet which will aide in better running overall.  Still I am shying away from barefooting anywhere but the soft beach sand because of the hazards of stones and various other debris.  So I want to try the shoes.
     The problem is that you cannot really try out these shoes.  You need to do proper research and make informed decisions as with any major purchase.  This is where you runners come in.  I currently run in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12, I am a big fan of these shoes and Brooks in general.  I would love to hear from barefoot runners, or at least those of you who have tried any brand of minimalist shoe.  Let the conversation begin!

Thanks to Runner's World for some of the info I gathered for this post, you can view the lengthy article on minimalist running shoes here: Is Less More?

No comments:

Post a Comment