Friday, February 22, 2013

Chasing Sunsets



            I never grow tired of a good sunset, even in the dead of winter.  I am sure that I am not the only one who feels the same.  The colors can turn a terrible day around.  I often use the sunset, and the time leading up to and immediately afterward, as a sort of meditation.  It is quite easy to get lost in thought when watching a sunset.  Whether from the warmth of a car during winter, or perched on a breakwater during summer, as long as there’s a sunset it doesn’t matter how you view it.  You can enjoy it with the sounds of surrounding nature, or with a favorite song playing in headphones, I do both quite often.  I even have made a Sunset Mix of music on my IPod for those times.
            I try to take at least one day each week in winter, and several during summer, to take the time to enjoy a sunset. It is a natural stress reliever.  Being from Cape Cod I have been privileged to see thousands of sunsets backdropped against the ocean.  I have several favorite spots from Bound Brook Island in Wellfleet to Monk’s Park in Monument Beach, yet any beach will do as long as there’s a sunset to be witnessed.  You really don’t even need a beach; just a few free moments to look toward the horizon.  The colors created as dusk approaches makes anything and everything take on a greater beauty.  If you are a photographer this is a prime time to break the camera out; you can even use a smart phone now. 
These are not complicated thoughts here obviously; I am not trying to make some profound statement here.  I think enjoying a beautiful sunset is about as simple a pleasure as there is in the world.  I think that this was just an excuse to share some sunset photos and perhaps influence a few of you to take a drive to a favorite spot, or even just stick your head out the window to enjoy a moment of meditation watching the next sunset. Cheers!
Where are your favorite sunset spots?  What about favorite sunset driving songs? 

Railroad Bridge on Cape Cod Canal

Monks Park, Monument Beach, MA

Summit of Cadillac Mountain, Acadia National Park

Delray Beach, FL

           
           

No comments:

Post a Comment