Wednesday, September 22, 2010

19 - In My Footsteps Trip - September 21-22, 2010

Initial Impressions
Christopher Setterlund


In My Footsteps Trip:  September 21-22, 2010


1.      1. My first overnight trip.  Stayed at a nice little motel in New London, NH called The Lamplighter Inn.
2.      2.  The traffic heading north out of Boston was nothing short of hell, we need flying cars ASAP.
3.      3.  Once you pass through Concord the drive on I-89 is out of this world.  I am surprised I wasn’t killed staring off at the green mountains.
4.      4.  My stay at the Lamplighter was the first time I have ever received a ‘perk’ for being a travel writer, half off my room.  Glad my writing is good or else maybe I’d have been charged double.
5.      5.   I was also told that if I return to the area that the motel owner knows some folks in Sunapee who might give me a similar deal.  Oh yeah, life gets sweeter every day.
6.      6.  I loved New London, a small town postcard for sure, lots of bull statues painted various colors, did not seem out of place at all.
7.      7.  Passed through Sunapee to get to Newport, again it was like something out of a brochure or magazine.  I can’t stress enough how great this trip was.
8.      8.  Found 1 of the 2 covered bridges I was looking for in Newport.  First, it had a damn porta-potty next to the entrance, nice photos.  Then I ended up so far in the middle of nowhere looking for the other one that my GPS literally was just a blank screen with my car in the middle.
9.      9.  A walk down the Main Street of Newport was like being lost in time, I think I took photos of every building.  There is an amazing mural of old Newport on the side of a building which I wish I could have stolen, I mean bought legally.
10.  10.  Nothing is cooler than a McDonalds with mountains all around it, well unless it’s a Dunkin’ Donuts that is literally someone’s house.
11.  11.  The highways had no cops and loads of hills, this made for NASCAR speeds by me.
12.  12.  Driving along the Merrimack River made me realize how small Bass River is.  Like a Great Dane next to a Chihuahua.
13.  13.  The State House in Concord was incredible.  Even the little boy banging a bell with his hands from underneath it was cool.  You know what’s not cool though?  Parking meters.  They suck.
14.  14.  Although, these meters had a credit card slot, and you could choose your time.  So they were a cool sort of suck I guess.
15.  15.  There were a lot of apple trees, I didn’t dare eat one, or taken any home, I need my preservatives.
16  16.  Visited the grave and home of the 14th President Franklin Pierce.  It was neat to see a former president’s grave, but I don’t think he is famous for anything really, is he?
17.  17.  Saw the coolest baseball field at White Park in Concord.  It is the home of the Sunset Baseball league organized in 1909, brick dugouts, too cool.
18.  18.  Even cooler was the mother letting her son lay in a mud puddle while she smoked.  White shirt, ruined, she didn’t care though, stay classy white trashy.
19.  19.  There is a science center named for astronaut Christa McAuliffe who died in the Challenger explosion.  It was a nice place and great that she is remembered like that.
20.  20.  2 towers in Manchester.  1 I had to walk to because the road was closed, and then it was surrounded by an iron fence.  The other one I got to see but they forgot to mention it was on the grounds of a veteran’s hospital.  Yeah, I got more than a few awkward stares from those folks.
2    21.   Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, it f’n rules.  There are labels on the counter where famous people sat.  I sat at Sarah Silverman’s seat.  Adam Sandler had his own burger.  Bison burger for me, and some world famous chili.
22.  22.  It was a true diner experience, everyone who sat down talked to me.  It was like Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, especially with the autographed Guy Fieri photo on the wall.
23.  23.  Manchester even has horse cops, no, on horseback, the cops are not horses, although that would be cool.
24.  24.  In total the damage was 450 miles, $40 in gas, 3 hours 15 minutes to New London, don’t know how long to get home since I did a lot of stopping. 
25.  25.  Have chugged 2 liters of Gatorade and am ready to pass out.
26.  26.  Huge week long trip to Maine starts next Friday, I love doing this, obviously.

Quote of the Day:  “We have your number and we’re going to call the cops.”  Waitress at the Red Arrow Diner to a customer that called in a ‘to go’ order and failed to pick it up for 2 ½ hours.  He then bitched them out because they wouldn’t make him new food.  The idiot sent his daughter in to pick it up once ‘cops’ were mentioned.


Photo Of the Day:

New London, NH
The Train Mural in Newport, NH
The State Capitol in Concord
Merrimack River from Notre Dame Bridge in Manchester

No comments:

Post a Comment