Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Show, Don't Tell

'Actions speak louder than words.' 'Show, don't tell.' These are basically the same thing and are phrases I live by.  I have also come to truly believe that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it. In other words, bad things will happen but what do you do after? Do you pick yourself up and keep on moving forward?  Or do you let whatever happened end up defining who you are as a person from then on?
I will speak in terms of a breakup or end of any sort of relationship. If it ends badly naturally you would rather not interact with that person if at all possible. How far do you go to achieve that? If you work together do you leave your job? If you live together do you move out? Sometimes it's very easy to not see a person if you put your mind to it, sometimes it's not so easy and you must either suffer or make a difficult choice.
Today I made a choice but it is not as dramatic as switching jobs or moving out. However, the action will make this seem more dramatic. I switched gyms which in and of itself is hardly a blip on life's radar. The meaning behind it will not be lost on those closest to me though. I am leaving the supposed 'best' gym in my area to go to an average gym. It's cheaper and closer to home which is great but it'll be a step down for sure. I am doing this to make sure I have no interaction with a specific person who frequents that old gym, and who actually is the one that got me to switch there 2 years ago. 
What this means in more relatable terms to most people is I would rather have something less and be happy than have the best but be miserable.  Choosing something less to effectively remove someone from your life is a very powerful statement.  It is the age old debate between 'holding on' and 'letting go.' In order to go further in my life I must be willing to let go of whatever causes me pain and distraction. The gym is really only a metaphor for a greater statement. Maybe my actions will finally show this person how much hurt they caused, probably not. I am doing this for me and my future. The only way to begin a new chapter is to end the old one first. So with one small change I have closed a chapter, tomorrow we begin anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment