Friday, September 6, 2013

Sunset Running

The growing silence and changing colors in the sky. There is nothing quite like a good sunset run. I will many times use my running as a sort of meditation to think about any problems I am having in my life; the atmosphere created during a sunset run only enhances this.  Personally I enjoy either runs along the beaches or the solitude of bike trails, today I utilized a bike trail running through a local golf course. The lowering sun filtering through the surrounding trees was magnificent and helped to create a sort of moment where it became less about the actual running and more about the feeling of total peace inside. I knew my feet were moving, rapidly I might add, but things felt much slower in my mind. It's runs like these that make me so glad that I discovered this passion.  Sure, I could go and walk and see the same sights but the added bonus of burning a thousand calories makes running all the better choice. I am so lucky to live in an area like Cape Cod where there is never a shortage of beautiful running routes to get lost in.  These are the types of runs I mention when explaining to non-runners why I do what I do. Even better I take photos of the beauty I see and share them with anybody; they always seem to entice even the staunchest non-runner to 'maybe' give it a try.
Today was 8 1/2 miles of meditation, a chance to rid my mind of any negative thoughts that had crept in during the day. I'm a runner, so naturally running is my meditation. I am sure however many people have other passions that double as chances to meditate. Fishing, music, painting, I am sure there are many others I'm missing but the end result is the same.
Do any of you runners enjoy sunset runs? Do you get to the same meditative state that I have been talking about?
Along Bass River in West Dennis, Ma.


No comments:

Post a Comment