Thursday, June 3, 2010

4 - June 3, 2010


Initial Impressions
Christopher Setterlund

June 3, 2010 – In My Footsteps Travel Day

1.      Almost didn’t go today due to the threat of rain, luckily all we got was fog.
2.      There is nothing cooler than driving through the fog and having the sun break out up ahead.  It is also incredibly scary to go over one of the bridges when you can’t see below you. 
3.      Got to visit a cemetery in East Bridgewater where my great-great grandparents are buried, along with many other relatives.  The odd thing was walking across the cemetery and the house next door had ‘Jet City Woman’ by Queensryche playing.  Sort of a weird choice of mood music.
4.      This was my second trip to Bridgewater, second because the first time I did not bring any addresses.  A GPS can’t find places without addresses, yes I am a college grad and did not think of this before.
5.      Hockomock Swamp is the center of all sorts of supposed paranormal activity in East Bridgewater.  I did not see Bigfoot, it was creepy though when the fog rolled back in just as I arrived deep in the swamp.  I did proceed to get chewed like jerky by insects.
6.      Part of me actually started wishing the fog stayed put as it got really hot and humid after the sun came out.  Next week I should bring a change of clothes, not fun.
7.      There was a really nice little farm next to the Keith House on River Street in W. Bridgewater.  There were tons of cows that all seemed a little too interested in me.  Maybe they wanted me to swat the flies off of their backs.
8.      A great surprise was in Pembroke.  There was a carnival being set up across from the Town Hall.  It was on the grounds of the Memorial Park which meant that there were war memorials lying in and among the rides and snack stands.  It made for an interesting dichotomy, too bad it wasn’t open yet.
9.      Again my GPS seems to want to either kill me or confuse me.  It has me take a right from a parking lot and do a big square of driving when a left turn would have saved time.  Is this common in England and since I use the British voice the computer is using their driving habits?
10.  Oh and also the Friends Meetinghouse in Pembroke is really cool, but it is on this dangerous corner which nearly got me killed twice.  Eventually I parked at a party supply store and walked.
11.  I went to see the Winslow House, home of the town’s founding family, in Marshfield at the perfect time.  There was the annual meeting and fundraiser going on just as I got there which made this 17th century home sound more like a cafeteria.  Do I get an extra scoop of mashed potatoes if I ask nicely lunch lady?
12.  Got to visit the grave of Daniel Webster, plus his law office, and estate.  His name is huge in American history and in the town of Marshfield, but there was another name now synonymous with the town that I had to visit.     
13.  The Marshfield Hills General Store was bought last year by Steve Carell and his wife.  He said he might at times show up to work.  He was not there today, but there is a bunch of ‘The Office’ merchandise for sale.  When I mentioned this to the clerk he was coy, but I got a receipt to remember that I was there.  I should have got a ‘That’s what she said’ shirt, but oh well.
14.  Near Damons Point in Marshfield there was a house along the water with a row of at least 50-60 birdhouses, seriously, it was like a bird hotel.
15.  Was supposed to hit up Kingston today too but the places I listed were not easy to find.  Yeah I know, I had the GPS, and addresses and still failed to find them.  Sorry but the Independence Mall was not going to be the centerpiece of an article.
16.  Funny how people are real quick to let me out of an intersection when there’s a cop behind me. 
17.  Gas was up to 20 cents cheaper per gallon off Cape.
18.   Finishing up the day with a visit to the Thai Garden in the Cape Cod Mall and watching the remake of Friday the 13th, only giving it a shot because I loved the original.  Nothing special thus far.

Quote of the Day: “Toby is in HR, which technically means he works for corporate, so he's really not a part of our family. Also, he's divorced, so he's really not a part of his family.” – Michael Scott (Steve Carell), The Office.

Song of the DayToes – Zac Brown Band

Photo of the Day:  Statue on Lynn Common - Lynn, Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment